Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Red Hot Chili Peppers: "Under the Bridge"

"I don't ever want to feel / Like I did that day // Take me to the place I love / Take me all the way."

This song is about loneliness and finding companionship in the form of a city -- in this case, LA. Ironically, a song about isolation ensured that the Red Hot Chili Peppers would never be lonely again (or at least that they'd always be surrounded by people). A single off the band's fifth album, "Under the Bridge" was released in 1992 and exploded upon impact. Mainstream music audience, meet the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Red Hot Chili Peppers, mainstream music audience. Play nice.

That album, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, is still the group's most successful. "Give It Away," "Suck My Kiss," and "Breaking the Girl" are well-known tracks, but "Under the Bridge" is still the winner in recognition. Guess there are a lot of lonely people out there. "I gave my life away," sings Anthony Kiedis. Is there any thought more depressing?

Make your Wednesday a day worth remembering. But first, enjoy this awesome song, recorded in 2003 in front of a huge audience in Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment