Friday, May 27, 2011

Jason Mraz: "I'm Yours"



I've been wanting to post this song for a really long time, but I've been waiting to find the right one. There are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of live versions of this song on YouTube. But what I love about the song is how delicate it is; the harmonies are gorgeous but light, playful. This song is better when it can be quiet, in a studio, as opposed to on stage in front of thousands of people. And I don't say that often.

This is the song I crank in the car when I'm stuck in traffic and need to lower my blood pressure.


I love that Jason Mraz has sort of forged his own musical path. He's got a little soul, a little funk, a little bubblegum pop, a little reggae, a little rap, a little rock, a little roll, and a lot of acoustic guitar to offer. This song is off his third studio album, We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things., which peaked at number 3 on the Billboard charts in 2008.

And then they hit the a cappella just before 3:00 and...I...melt. Even the silly robot dance makes me happy, because it feels like he's just goofing around and having fun. And music is nothing if you're not having fun.

Happy Friday, and have an exceedingly fun Memorial Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment