Friday, May 20, 2011

Haley Reinhart: "What Is & What Should Never Be"

I have not been watching American Idol. The last time I watched American Idol religiously, a cute but powerful thing named Kelly Clarkson won. I struggled through season two, never really caring too much about anyone in particular; tried out for season seven (but didn't meet Randy or Simon or Paula, what a tease); and haven't thought much of it since.

I have a lot of respect for the talent that has come out of American Idol. Carrie Underwood has already been celebrated on this blog, and Jennifer Hudson's got some serious skills. But the show itself feels like a factory, churning out trendy, poppy artists that seem to grip the 12-to-22-year-old market for a few months and then drop off the face of the earth. (Hi, Clay!) That's fine, because at least they can sing a bit, so even if they inevitably become one-hit wonders, it's all better than...people who can't sing who make music anyway.

So last night we had a wonderful roomie dinner -- both of them are moving out on me this summer SADFACE -- and we turned on Idol because Brittan watches it. Stuffed full of grilled summer splendor, we settled in to pass judgment on the final three contestants of season ten. Little Scotty McCreery crooned a guttural country song, and he did it well because that's what he does. Lauren Alaina sang...I don't remember what Lauren Alaina sang, but that go-go-inspired top with the white cowboy boots was at once distressing and fearless. She did fine, but her voice doesn't really push to the limit. It's too safe.

Then Haley Reinhart slithered onto the stage, lingering over the first few notes of Led Zeppelin's "What Is & What Should Never Be." Oh. My. God. This girl has a voice I've never heard before. There are foreshadows of it in Janis Joplin and Stevie Nicks and Alanis Morissette and even Adele. She's what I imagine when I use the words "raw talent." Her voice is throaty and gritty and effortless and perfectly pitched and absolutely beautiful.

And then, after FALLING ON STAGE (talk about embarrassing), she rips out with this scat singing while her father shreds the guitar on stage next to her. That had to be one of the best moments of her life. This performance is incredible, and (spoiler) I'm truly in shock that she got voted off. Scotty and Lauren, sorry kids, but you are not going to have the career of Ms. Reinhart.

I hope she gets a good agent and becomes the first Idol contestant since Kelly whose debut album I've bought. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment