Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Black Keys: "Girl is On My Mind"

I've listened to this blues-rock duo for approximately 3.4 hours per day for the past two months. The Black Keys have been my soundtrack for commuting, homework, cooking -- I even took a nap with Thickfreakness on in the background. And for good reason -- these guys are AWESOME. (Though perhaps not soothing, but I'm weird.)

There's something to be said for simplicity. The Black Keys are drummer Patrick Carney and guitarist/singer Dan Auerbach.
They formed in 2001 at the mutual age of 21 and started playing blues rock around their hometown of Akron, Ohio. They have since released six studio albums; last year they won three Grammys. They've got a song on the radio right now that is catchy as hell. (And the music video is incredibly entertaining. I want them to make that movie.) So basically they're on top of the world, and I want to be them, or at least hang out with them, and maybe sing some backgrounds, or just bring them lemonade or hot towels or something. Is there a groupie application somewhere?

Strangely, they seem to be better in the studio than live -- or at least, the general quality of what's available on YouTube isn't great, though I saw them at Lollapalooza in 2007 and was riveted.

Fun fact: Their second album,
Thickfreakness (2003), was recorded in Carney's basement in 14 hours. That album, along with Rubber Factory, which came out the following year, propelled the band out of Akron and...well, it doesn't really matter where, because they weren't in Akron anymore, thank God.

This song is off Rubber Factory and was used in a commercial for a camera or a phone or something, so you may recognize it. This recording unfortunately cuts off as Auerbach is still plucking the strings, but otherwise the sound is crystal. I cannot get the gritty guitar line out of my head. It's raw. Enjoy.


"Girl is On My Mind," performed by the Black Keys.
Original on the Black Keys' "Rubber Factory" (2004).

No comments:

Post a Comment