Thursday, June 30, 2011

Maps & Atlases: "Israeli Caves"


I'm going to Lollapalooza this year! I couldn't really afford the three-day ticket, so I applied to be a volunteer and was accepted to work three days as a box office minion / floater. I work Friday night and Saturday/Sunday until 1pm, and the rest of my time is free to roam, listen, and salivate over the line-up. I'm sooo psyched; I went to Lolla in 2007 and 2009, so this is fitting into my rotation perfectly.

I informed my mother of my good fortune, and she immediately began constructing a schedule of bands for me to see. She might be more excited than I am. And she told me she'd disown me if I don't see her recent musical crush, Maps and Atlases. Thus I need to become familiar with these guys so as not to threaten my inheritance (or, failing that, my mother's unconditional love for me).

These guys formed in Chicago in 2004. They've released an LP and a handful of EPs and have been making the live show/festival circuit for a few years now. Their songs are rhythmically and musically complex -- "math rock" -- but the live performance comes off effortlessly. In other words, my mom has pretty good taste, all things considered.

So who's going to Lolla? What's worth seeing? The schedule is here! The definites on my list, in order of appearance:

- OK Go
- Girl Talk
- Maps and Atlases
- Super Mash Bros
- Cee Lo Green
- Beats Antique
- Eminem
- Arctic Monkeys
- Foo Fighters

I may also have to stop by the kids stage to check out Keller Williams, who is inexplicably not playing an adult-themed set. Any other suggestions for must-see bands at this year's Lolla?

No comments:

Post a Comment