Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Decemberists: Three Songs at NPR

[Embed link broken. Watch video here.]

I spent the summer of 2007 completely obsessed with this band. I've kept track of their album releases ever since, including the most recent full-length album, The King is Dead (January 2011). These three songs -- "Down by the Water," "Rox in the Box," and "June Hymn" -- are off that album, though obviously the full band was not present for this performance. (That's Nickel Creek's Sarah Watkins on fiddle.)

This video originally appeared in this NPR story, in which the author references the rather tepid response this album received when released. I agree that it didn't really knock my socks off. It doesn't approach the genius of 2006's Crane Wife or 2009's Hazards of Love. But a few of the songs are catchy -- they picked three of the best to showcase -- and it's helpful that I'm already a fan and therefore already strangely addicted to Colin Meloy's voice. It's like he's got a bunch of extra space in his mouth when he sings. And there is a twang that is not identifiable to any region. Even the false start on the third song is endearing.

Now more than ever, I want to work for NPR someday.

Thanks to Jessie for sending me this video!

No comments:

Post a Comment