Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Bill Withers: "Use Me"


SERIOUS BLOGGING FAIL. This is supposed to be Daily Jams, not Weekly Jams. Blaming finals week is so cliche, so instead I'll blame my social calendar. They were equal culprits this time.

I still have a longer post percolating (hint: it's MJ!), but today we're going with my man Bill Withers. I'd never heard this song before my friend Laura sent it to me a month ago, but it's gotten under my skin in the worst way. That is, in a good way. That is, I like it a lot. What?

The band (which I don't know anything about) develop this awesome slow groove from the start; Bill's voice nestles in and lays back. There will be no rushing today, Bill says. And the lyrics -- so full of soul and...is that mirth? He's positively MIRTHFUL about being used by this woman. The chorus sums it up nicely: "I wanna spread the news that if it feels this good getting used, you just keep on using me until you use me up." Everyone wins.

I direct you to the top-rated YouTube comment on the video for further elaboration.
My brain is fried. I think I'll just play this song a few times on loop and sway for awhile. Yeah, that sounds nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment