Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Arctic Monkeys: "Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured"


One of the things I love about music is its ability to capture a mood. Songs remind us of people or places or things (nouns, I suppose, in general), and they stir memory. But all music worth listening to has the ability to slip directly into our bodies and seize us whole. Some people react to dance music and go batshit insane. Others can't study unless they've got Gregorian chant and/or the Garden State soundtrack playing softly in the background (hello, freshman year). Music transports us, sets the tone, gives us attitude.

Led Zeppelin reminds me of spring cleaning and open windows. Blues Traveler reminds me of Iowa. The Decemberists make me think of summer. (Their music just doesn't sound right in the dead of winter.) But I turn to the Arctic Monkeys when I need to feel cool (they're British! how hip!) and hardcore (I almost died in the AM mosh pit at Lolla 2007). Thus the Arctic Monkeys are often my choice during the day at my office job, where I deftly push paper and answer phones and generally feel like a badass. Because if clerical work is anything, it's most certainly badass.

What music do you listen to at work? And why?

No comments:

Post a Comment