Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Keller Williams: "Freeker by the Speaker"

I've always wanted to play guitar. My parents got me one, a beautiful red wood acoustic, for my sixteenth birthday, and I was positive I'd be the next female singer-songwriter (that can totally rock out when called upon). Three chords later, I retired my dream. I can still play "Good Riddance" by Green Day and a haphazard version of Kenny Wayne Shepard Band's "Blue on Black," but my true artistic talent must lay elsewhere. (I'm hoping with electric bass, because that was this year's birthday gift.)Having attempted guitar, I learned to appreciate not just good guitarists, but guitarists that could wipe the floor with me. Keller Williams is one of those guitarists.

Like much of the music I listen to these days, Keller was introduced to me by my parents. (The ones that keep giving me instruments. See the trend?) They described him as this guy that plays a bunch of instruments and is a one-man band, basically, and he creates tracks live. With a basic road map, some lyrics, and a flair for improv, watch a song get written, live. I did not understand, so they showed me this video.

What follows is the video that I've since watched no fewer than 150 times. I wish I were joking. I could write six paragraphs about why this is a really amazing freaking video, but I'd rather just save it and let you discover the magic for yourself. From the whistling to the percussion to the looping to the amazingly full sound of the guitar to the notes practically dancing across the strings of three instruments to the barefoot dancing -- my god, the dancing -- this song may be perfect. Enjoy.


"Freeker by the Speaker," performed by Keller Williams.
Original on Keller Williams' "Laugh" (2002).

No comments:

Post a Comment