Wednesday, March 23, 2011

B.B. King: "The Thrill is Gone"

B.B. King really is the king. He's one of the best guitarists to ever live, the backbone of American blues. Not to mention that he's 85 and still performing. One of my music fantasies is to see him live, but every time he comes to town tickets are scalped at $200 and even if I explained how I was living out a lifelong dream, I don't think my landlord would appreciate being shortchanged on rent.

This song, which is actually a cover of another blues artist, is King's signature and is responsible for a couple of the fifteen Grammy's on his mantel. This video touches my soul every time I hear it. The vibrating notes, the soul-gravel voice, the sad, drawn-out lyrics -- I know it's a song about a lonely guy, but it's still one of the sexiest songs ever.


Speaking of sexy, check out that blue jacket. As one YouTube commenter correctly noted, "Anyone else wearing that suit would look like a total idiot. But you just don't question BB King." Enjoy.

"The Thrill is Gone," performed by B.B. King (1993).
Original song by Rick Darnell and Roy Hawkins (1951).

No comments:

Post a Comment