Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Nikki Yanofsky: "Don't Know Why"


I allow the weather to affect my mood too much. Today in Chicago, the sky looks as though it's actually trying to induce Seasonal Affective Disorder. The darkness is impenetrable, and the remaining patches of dirty, wet snow do nothing to add light. It's the kind of day that can only be cured with a warm beverage and a warm voice.

Nikki Yanofsky to the rescue! I discovered this Canadian chanteuse last spring, and the post I wrote remains one of the most heavily trafficked in this blog's history, so I'm positive that I'm not just seeing things: This 17-year-old has got some seriously skills. (And in this video, she's only 15 or 16.)

Her tone, her phrasing, her moxy in tackling songs by the most talented female recording artists out there -- Ms. Yanofsky makes it look easy. If I close my eyes and listen to her voice, I can almost make myself believe that when I open my eyes, the sun will be shining and the snow will be gone and I'll be presented with a basket of puppies and a week of paid vacation. Yeah, she's that good.

2 comments:

  1. I am an avid Nikki fan, so enjoyed both of the Dai(ly) jam posts on Nikki. To make this post on Nikki singing "Don't Know Why" on youtube even more interesting-the guy backing her on acoustic guitar in the video is Jesse Harris, who wrote the song, originally for Norah Jones. He has since become a strong supporter of Nikki, co-producing her "Nikki" CD with mega-grammy producer Phil Ramone, and also now co-writes songs with Nikki and performs live with her. Nikki's yet untitled 3rd CD is due this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info, Rob - it sounds like Nikki is in good hands! And thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete