Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Florence + the Machine: Ceremonials (full concert)


In 2009, English pop band Florence + the Machine struck gold with their emotional debut album, Lungs, setting everyone's pants on fire with "The Dog Days Are Over" (hear it around 22 minutes in the video above). In November 2011, the band released their sophomore album, Ceremonials. Today's "jam" is actually a 30-minute concert, and it begins with the album's opening song, "Shake It Out."

This past weekend, as has been my habit lately, I bought myself a new album (Ceremonials, natch) and immediately listened to it three or four times through. I was thrilled and relieved: The emotion, the crazy risks Florence Welch takes with her voice, are alive and well in this, their second album; Rolling Stone writer Jody Rosen characterizes the tracks as heaping portions of "Welch's banshee wails" -- which, assuming one is partial to such beastly and forceful wails, is quite the compliment. Rosen also determines the album's sound as markedly British, and I agree; I felt odd listening to it on my iPod, standing in the Chicago snow, waiting for the el. The troubling but beautiful music didn't fit the scene, but I found myself transported by Florence Welch's voice, as if I was following her as she wandered around London at night, parting the fog with her voice, her band gliding easily along behind her.

Is that weird?

Where does this music take you? If you need more time to think about it, here's something to get you going: the entire Ceremonials album, performed live at the album launch last October:


Florence + the Machine will tour 15 U.S. cities this spring. Sadly they won't be stopping in Chicago, but you can catch them in Milwaukee on April 28. Full schedule and tickets here.

Watch more full concerts of Daijams' favorite bands here.

No comments:

Post a Comment