Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Manchester Orchestra: "I've Got Friends"


Lollapalooza this weekend! I'm obviously excited, but moreso I feel myself becoming overwhelmed and distraught. After all, short of a Hermione-style time-turner, there's clearly no way you can make it to all of the fantastic shows throughout the weekend. This is particularly true this year, as it's the 20th anniversary of Perry Farrell's masterpiece. How to cope?

I just wish I had more time this week to prepare. Meaning I wish I could spend the next 48 hours doing nothing but listen to music. Short of that, I'm trying to get in a few song listens of each of the bands I've heard of but don't know that well. And after a few videos this morning, I'm convinced Manchester Orchestra is a must-see show.

I've tended since college (okay, since always) to trend toward the poppy, but bands like the Manchester Orchestra and the Black Keys (the latter being sadly absent from Lolla this year) are pulling me back to the heart of rock: awesome guitar and bass quips, harder drum hits, somewhat unintelligible but often poignant lyrics. I'm digging it, and come hell or heat wave I'll be at this show on Saturday.

Check out the rest of my intended lineup here.

No comments:

Post a Comment