Thursday, July 28, 2011

Frank Sinatra: "New York, New York"


I'm headed to New York for the weekend. Frank is the only one capable of providing a suitable send-off. And since my words obviously can't possibly describe the magic that is Frank Sinatra, I encourage you to snuggle in for this classic 1966 Esquire piece by Gay Talese. Titled "Frank Sinatra Has a Cold," it is the best profile ever written about anyone, anywhere -- and it's premised on the fact that Frank wouldn't grant an interview with the writer. An amazing piece of journalism, an amazing musician and entertainer, and an amazing 48 hours ahead of me in the Big Apple. I'm a Chicago girl through and through, but there really is no place like New York.

Since I'll be running around Midtown tomorrow instead of posting a Friday video, here's a bonus version of this song, performed a cappella by the Reel Big Fish. (Sadly I cannot find a live version, so album will have to do.) I was once listening to this song when I got off the subway at Times Square. I'll never forget what that night looked like, felt like, smelled like. It looked like bright lights, felt like magic, and smelled like pee. Ah, New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment