Monday, August 8, 2011

Beats Antique: "100 Eyes"


I'm physically, emotionally, mentally, and metaphorically exhausted, but I survived Lollapalooza 2011. As expected, I didn't get to all the acts I would have liked to see, but I still saw some amazing live shows (and a few duds*). While I work on my Lollapalooza wrap-up post, enjoy a video by one of the best bands I saw at the festival this year, Beats Antique.

A fusion of electronica and Middle Eastern world music, Beats Antique was formed in Oakland in 2007 by the lead belly dancer, Zoe Jakes. Their stage show incorporates belly dancing as well as some...slightly weirder stuff (case in point: gas masks). But the beats are phenomenal, all the members have great personality on stage, and their 7pm Saturday show at Lollapalooza was the most unrestrained fun I had all weekend. The chicken dancing in the crowd didn't hurt.

Chicken man had some serious moves.

This is one of the cases where a YouTube video doesn't really do the band justice. If you can catch them live, I highly recommend it; they're playing everywhere from New York City to Bozeman, Montana this fall. They're coming back to Chicago for Thanksgiving weekend with Umphrey's McGee. If I'm in town, you can bet I'll be there, (literal) bells on.

Beats Antique at Lollapalooza 2011

* Hint: He saw you drivin' 'round town with the girl he loves...

No comments:

Post a Comment