Thursday, March 15, 2012

Zero 7: "In the Waiting Line"


The Garden State soundtrack was a crucial element of my undergraduate study sessions. Today, as I finish up what feels like my graduate thesis but is really a creative nonfiction story for a Travel Writing class, I need all the good study mojo I can get.

My roommate arranged this song for our a cappella group, Emanon, to learn this spring. In the meantime, I'm going to be zenning out. The parallels between today and my freshman year at Northwestern are striking; I still have a Mountain Dew at fingertips' reach, along with my books, notes, and a thesaurus. I feel relaxed, confident in my abilities, but unbearably nervous; what if I'm not prepared? But singer Sophie Barker is still frozen in time in this video from 2001, calmly pointing out through what may be a drug (or caffeine)-induced haze what should be obvious: "Do you believe in what you see? / Motionless wheel, nothing is real," she sings. "Everyone's saying different things to me, different things to me. / Everyone's taking everything they can, everything they can."

Let's hope clarity emerges from the wisps of ideas. That seems to be how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment