Monday, February 27, 2012

EXCITING NEWS! Plus the Buggles: "Video Killed the Radio Star"

We interrupt your regularly scheduled music for an exciting announcement!

It was almost a year ago that I started this blog as a fun side project, to keep me writing on a daily basis and to articulate for my friends and family my reverence for genuinely talented musicians. Though I mostly write for myself and to impress my mother, a few of my posts went viral thanks to Twitter, Pinterest, and the Internet's general interest in Freddie Mercury's fashion choices. Next week, for Daijams' one-year anniversary, I'll do a round-up of the five most popular posts from the past year. It's been a great ride, and I'm excited to reflect on all the music we've covered.

It's also been a treat these past few months to have guest blogger Juke Box Hero taking turns at the turntable. His taste in music is, I like to think, a nice complement of my own, and it's been wonderful to have someone to bounce ideas off. So far he's introduced me to half a dozen artists I'd never even heard of, many from across the pond, and so as a music lover I am indebted. Mostly, I'm thankful for the support and encouragement his weekly presence here has lent me. Thanks a million, JBH!

Now for the news: I'm thrilled to announce that my mother will have some company in the readership gallery, as Daijams is now a Featured Partner on Flud, a mobile social news reader for iPhone and iPad. The Flud app converts our daily posts -- as well as your other favorite web content, from blogs to industry-leading news sources -- into a news stream that integrates with Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Google Reader, Read It Later, Instapaper, and email accounts.

Oh -- and it's free.


Download the app here and construct your custom news stream. And be sure to add Daijams right away! We'll be here with your live music fix and quality original content on a daily basis. Thank you so much for reading and listening and being a part of this community!

And now, today's song comes from early 80's New Wave scions the Buggles. "Video Killed the Radio Star," their only hit, topped the charts in 16 countries when it was released in 1979. More importantly to members of Generation X, the music video was the first video to air on MTV at midnight on August 1st, 1981.


Of course, they were right -- the introduction of music television and videos completely changed the industry. Video may not have killed the radio star, but it did usher in a new era.

But it's funny that the Buggles were purportedly nostalgic for the way things were, since they themselves were primarily a studio band and thus never toured or played live shows. In fact Trevor Horn, the lead singer in the glasses, says at the end that this 2004 performance is the first time the band has played the song in public since they recorded it in the studio 25 years earlier. Even the original female back-up singers came out for the show. How's that for some great nostalgia?


Don't forget to download Flud!

No comments:

Post a Comment