Monday, November 21, 2011

Panic! at the Disco: "I Write Sins Not Tragedies"


I love these small radio station performances. The recordings are up-close and well-lit, and of course the sound is clear and gorgeous. Singer Brendan Urie is only 24 years old, but his tone and inflections are flawless here. He also plays every instrument under the sun, from guitar to cello to trumpet, and he writes some of the band's songs. He's a natural performer, and in such a small space, this song -- from the band's 2005 debut album A Fever You Can't Sweat Out -- sounds different from versions I've heard before.

This song was Panic!'s only huge radio hit (so far). They've released two more albums since then, neither of which has gotten nearly as much hype as the first. I hope Panic! doesn't end up a one-hit wonder, and I considered posting one of their lesser-known songs, like their newest single, "The Ballad of Mona Lisa" (also a great song).

But I couldn't take my eyes off this video. It's an example of why I started this blog in the first place: the live version sounds even better than the album version. Enjoy, and consider this a friendly reminder to support your favorite artists by buying their albums!

No comments:

Post a Comment