Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Blues Traveler: "But Anyway"


When I was four years old, I attended my first concert that I can remember. It was Blues Traveler, just four years after they'd formed. It was probably a free show, outdoors, held next to the Iowa River in Iowa City. After the show my mom took me up to meet lead singer John Popper, and he signed my ticket stub. I don't have proof of this, because we lost the ticket stub, but it happened, I promise.

Blues Traveler has been ingrained in my memory ever since. The enthusiastic, bluesy harmonica brings to mind spring, outdoors, closing your eyes and swaying in the breeze. The word "mellifluous" -- sweet, musical, pleasant to hear -- invokes Popper's voice; it is incomparable. The hat, vest, and peach fuzz mustache in this particular video are unfortunate, but the nineties in general were pretty bad for fashion:

Me, age 4, rocking the tie-dye.

Twenty years after I saw them perform, Blues Traveler is still going strong. I hope to see them live again someday soon.
I invite you to put on your hippie threads and sway with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment