Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Andrew Christopoulos: "Know Your Name"


I haven't been avoiding the Lolla Kidz Stage on Daijams, but I admit I haven't been paying much attention in the run-up to this weekend. I saw Keller Williams on the Kidz stage last year, mostly because I already loved him, and his set was fun and upbeat and mentioned both farm animals and "Freeker by the Speaker." The same (minus the freeky) will likely be said about Andrew Christopoulos, who plays the Kidz stage this weekend.

Christopoulos's story is touching. He started playing classical piano at age 7 before being diagnosed with LCH, a rare blood disease, a few years later. With the help of his father and music, Christopoulos made it through and got serious about both songwriting and singing. He's young, and his Internet presence is miniscule, but he must have impressed the Lolla bookers, because they scheduled him twice: Friday at 4 p.m. and Sunday at 2:30 p.m.

The piano- and guitar-based music is pleasant to listen to, and I love that he's done so much for someone so young. Could this be the early efforts of a music prodigy? He'll need to take serious advantage of the opportunity at Lolla. If you're near the Kidz stage and need a calming, squeaky-clean voice to shake out Ozzy's screams, I recommend Christopoulos.

Non-sequitur: Can someone tell me why we're teaching bad spelling to kidz? #englishpetpeeves

No comments:

Post a Comment