Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Grizzly Bear: "Knife"

Check this out, folks...I’m officially a blogger! It doesn’t matter that I’m, like, only a once-a-week contributing blogger -- no no, it’s still blogging, especially since I have to actually check my spelling and grammar. Yikes. Be kind, people.

Like Brittany, I’m also a sucker for voices harmonizing in marvelous wonderment -- which is the core reason for my obsession with this song. Uh, what song you say? Oh, right.

I bring you “Knife” by the band Grizzly Bear.

A Brooklyn-based, indie-rock group, Grizzly Bear is comprised of Edward Droste, Daniel Rossen, Chris Taylor and Christopher Bear. Their sound has an experimental, dream-inducing, harmony-heavy, folk-inspired feel that stays with you for (in my case) years. “Knife,” the single from the 2006 album Yellow House, very much undercuts your soul with its slow, intoxicating vocals. Yeah, it’s that intense.

This particular video comes from La Blogotheque, a Parisian-born website featuring, what else, music! From that website was born “Take-Away Shows,” an innovative approach to live music whereby performances are filmed in a single take (shit, why didn’t I think of that?) and the focus is on the pure, raw talent these artists bring to the melodic world. The context and idea for the “Take-Away Shows” videos is just brilliant and I’m as much a fan of the format as Grizzly Bear’s hypnotizing a cappella rendition of “Knife,” shot walking the streets of Paris. Plus, I think Edward Droste (the tall, awkwardly handsome band member) is acting sheepishly cute in the video.

Until next Tuesday, folks, enjoy.

"Knife," performed by Grizzly Bear.
Original on Grizzly Bear's "Yellow House" (2007).


This post was written by Brittan Wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment