Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Dolly Parton: "Jolene"

Welcome to the second installment of Brittan’s Musical Obsessions!

Today I have a classic for you…a country classic. Don’t run away yet! Trust me, if you
haven’t already heard this (and subsequently are obsessed like myself) then allow me to enlighten you.

Dolly Parton’s "Jolene" was recorded in 1973 and hit number one on the Hot Country
Singles chart in February 1974. It's also on Rolling Stone's list of the top 500 greatest songs of all time.

Besides the fact that, with 25 number-one singles, Dolly Parton is known to be the "Queen of Country Music," she's also a hilarious, amazing, strong and intelligent businesswoman. Seriously, just YouTube some of her interviews like this one and you will be blown away by her wit, intellect and perseverance.

I don’t want to talk her up too much because I feel I can’t possibly do her justice. You really just need to experience the Dolly to really understand her amazingness. Yea, amazingness.

Until next Tuesday, Enjoy.

"Jolene," performed by Dolly Parton.
Original on Parton's "Jolene" (1974).

Oh, and while you’re at it, watch this video too. Just get some tissues ready because it gets the waterworks goin’.This post was written by Brittan Wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment